Thursday, January 13, 2011

Magic Hat #9

Color: A clear dark yellowish color with a white head.  The reason it looks orange in the picture is because the label on the bottle is orange.
Flavor: I went into this expecting a pale ale, and the flavor in this beer was definitely not what I thought it would be.  It reminds me of a Kolsch I had last fall- more on the light refreshing side of beer than a barrage of citrus hop flavor. The aroma is floral hops, like you'd get from a pilsener, then the taste starts with a bright fruity flavor, very much like apricot.  Then it rounds out to caramel and there's a slight bitterness at the finish that reminds me of bread crust. The transition between all the flavors is a fun little journey.
-Taster Be

1 comment:

  1. I think you hit the nail on the head with the apricot comment. Really, Magic Hat should cut the "mystique" crap and call this an apricot ale. Its funny, too, cause basically all of their beers are like this. I have really given them what I feel is a fair shake, and I find ALL of their beers nearly undrinkable. And this is not necessarily because I don't like fruit beers (although given the choice, I would opt to leave out the fruit). Rather, it's because they are poorly done fruit beers, and because they aren't marketed as fruit beers. For example, try Hell or High Watermelon or Pyramid's Apricot Ale. Both fruit beers, both well done, BOTH MARKETED AS FRUIT BEERS.

    Let me put it this way- given the choice between Magic Hat and Miller Lite, i'm going Miller all the way.

    Sorry. Rant over.

    Did I mention i'm not a fan of Magic Hat?

    ReplyDelete