Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Iron Springs Brewing Co., Fairfax, CA

Just as I started to feel like, maybe I've had one too many IPAs and it is time leave those hop-headed-heroes on the shelf for a while, a friend of mine put this beauty in front of me and I was re-inspired.  This is an excellent IPA, an excellent beer.  The first thing I noticed while enjoying beers at Iron Springs Brewery just 7-10 miles north of me in Fairfax, CA was the amazing color quality of ALL of their beers (I ordered 10 samplers so I got to see most if not all of the beers they had on tap).  Secondly, Iron Springs does a great job bringing out the characteristics of each beer style, so while I see them as a creative brewery, I also think they are really good at following traditional modes of brewing.  There must be some Block-headed German in one of the beer-masters, just try their Kolsch style beer: "Kent Lake".
Anyhow,  I enjoyed this 22 of the JC Flyer IPA at the brewery and took one home with me.  It pours with a hazed golden body with a small white head. The aromas are of orange, tangerine, and pine. The flavors are dry, grainy, citrus and there is a very light caramel flavor, dry body, lively carbonation with no astringents and weighs in around 9%. A well balanced big hoppy beer that reinvigorated my pallet. -Kbaer

No comments:

Post a Comment