Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Full Sail Brewing Company

My-oh-my.  My Beer-connoisseur-sister from Portland, OR sent me a special-special gift of black nectar from one of the world's beer meccas.  Thanks for sending me Full Sail's Black Gold Sis, even though it came with a "only drink after: date" that kept me waiting for about 3 months... but it was worth the wait to enjoy this bourbon barrel aged Imperial Stout.  This is a serious beer: it tastes like a french roast coffee  cappuccino mixed with a shot of strong Kentucky whiskey.  With out a doubt, this beer put some hair on my chest, not to mention my wife's too.  At some 11% ABV it was like licking the inside of a bourbon cask with it's woody, boozy flavor which was balanced out with its smooth, malty, chocolaty, coffee flavors that are more commonly associated with stouts.

“This extended aging presents hints of vanilla and allows the Stout to pick up the flavors of the wood, bourbon and oak. The aging combined with the robust character of the Imperial Stout make for an extraordinary and wonderful taste experience. It has a strong roasted malt character and a full body. Chocolate and caramel nuances blend with the hops for a smooth Imperial Stout,” described by Jamie Emmerson, Full Sail Brew Master.

Awesomeness.
-K

No comments:

Post a Comment